Council Elections

Councils are part of the democratic framework of Australia. The community elects their Council Members every four years, with the next Council Elections to be held in 2022.

Elections provide an opportunity to vote for candidates who will represent your community. You can also nominate to stand for election as a Council Member.

Council Elections are held by Postal Vote, for further information please contact Council on 8625 3407.

Enrolling to Vote

Almost everyone over 18 and living, owning or leasing property in a Council area can be eligible to vote.

You must be enrolled on the Council voters roll to be able to vote. You are eligible to vote in Council elections if you are:

  • 18 years of age or over at the time of voting; and
  • a resident in the Council area. You do not have to own a house or property to enroll to vote - tenants have those rights too.
  • on the council voters roll.
  • Ratepayer in the Ceduna Council area

Owners of property who are not residents, including body corporates or groups, may also have entitlements to enroll to vote.

How do I get on the Council Voters Roll?

You will automatically appear on the Council voters roll and receive a postal ballot pack if you are already on the State electoral roll (House of Assembly Roll), which means you vote in State Government elections. However, if you have changed address recently and have not changed your enrolment details you will need to do this now! Fill out an enrollment or change of address form at any Post Office or Electoral Office or visit to download a form.


If you are a landlord, business lessee or resident non-Australian citizen, you will no longer be automatically included on the roll. If you wish to vote in Council elections you are now required to enrol by completing one of the following enrolment forms, use the related link to the right.

  • Form 1 - Natural Person, for a person who is a resident not on the State Electoral Roll, or a Sole Owner or Sole Occupier.
  • Form 2 - Business with a Sole Owner or Occupier
  • Form 3 - Group of Owners or Occupiers (Propert owned or occupied by more than one person and/or business/organisation), a designated person is required to vote on behalf of the group.

Further Information

For further information on recent changes to the Local Government (Elections) Act 1999, visit
If you are unsure whether you are on the Council voters roll, please contact Council on 8625 3407.