Animal Management

When do I have to register my dog?

All dogs within the District Council of Ceduna area must be registered at the age of 3 months.
New dog registrations can be completed online via the Dog & Cat Online (DACO) website
If you are having trouble with the online registration please visit the Council Administration Office at 44 O'Loughlin Tce, CEDUNA and staff will be able to assist you. One valid piece of identification is required to initially register a dog.

Do I have to register my cat?

Cats do not require registration within the District Council of Ceduna. However Council encourage owners to register their cats on the DACO system, it is a Free registration.

How much does it cost to register my dog?

The fees for dog registration are set by the Dog and Cat Management Board.

Fees for the 2019/2020 financial year are as follows:

  • Standard yearly fee $60
  • Desexed dogs (-40%) (veterinary certificate of proof required to claim)
  • Microchipped dogs (-10%) (veterinary certificate of proof required to claim)
  • Trained dogs (-10%) (proof required)
  • Rebate for concession card holder (-50%)
  • Working dogs (-70%) Please see note below

Description of a working dog: Dogs principally used for droving or tending of stock eg. Border Collie, Kelpie

Rebate for Pension Concession & Concession Card: Vaild forms of Concession, Aged Pension Concession & Seniors Card Holders only.

Dog re-registration methods of payment

All dog registration renewals are due by the 31st of August each year.
Renewal notices are distributed by Email unless specified othewise, please ensure that you update your details when required
Payments can be made through the DACO website 

If you are experiencing difficulting processing your payment please contact Council Administration for assistance.

Is there a limit on how many dogs I can have?


Township A maximum of two (2) dogs can be kept on any premises.
If premises has a small dwelling (unit), there is a limit of one (1) dog that can be kept on the premises.

Rural or Rual Living
A Maximum of three (3) dogs that can be kept on the premises.
This limit does not include working dogs.

No person shall, without obtaining the written permission of the Council, keep any dog on any premises where these numbers are exceeded.

Is there a limit on how many cats I can have?


Township A maximum of two (2) cats can be kept on any premises.

No person shall, without obtaining the written permission of the Council, keep any cat on any premises where these numbers are exceeded.

How do I make a complaint about a barking dog?

Under the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995 the person who owns or is responsible for the control of the dog is guilty of an offence if the dog (either alone or together with other dogs, whether or not in the same ownership) creates a noise, by barking or otherwise, which persistently occurs or continues to such a degree or extent that it unreasonably interferes with the peace, comfort or convenience of a person.

To enable Council officers to act on issues, a written complaint is required from those persons directly affected. The complaint will then be assessed by Council officers.

What do I do if there is a dog attack?

After a dog attack, seek medical or veterinary treatment as a priority.

When safe to do so, you must report the attack to Council. You can report a dog attack or an aggressive dog by phoning 86253407, 24 hours a day.

Report the incident ASAP

Like all serious incidents, time is a critical factor in dealing with dog attacks. This is especially important if the offending dog is wandering at large and still poses a risk to the public or other animals. To help council investigators, please try to gather the following information before contacting us:

  • the date, time and exact location of the attack. If you’re not sure, use your GPS equipped smart phone to check on a map
  • a description of the offending dog - registration disc, name tag, breed, colour, sex, markings, collar size and colour
  • a description of the owner - name, address, contact phone number, male or female, age, hair colour, clothing
  • if a car was involved and the offender drove away with the dog - car registration number, make, model, colour
  • a description and photographs of any injuries and location on your body or your pet's body.

You should also keep copies of any medical certificates, vet or doctor bills as evidence.

Who is responsible?

You are responsible for your dog’s actions. It is an offense for a dog to attack, harass or chase a person, another animal or a bird owned by a person.

What happens when a dog is reported?

  • Authorised Council investigators may take a statement or affidavit from you
  • Photos may be taken of any injuries to yourself, or your animals or birds.
  • The dog's owner may be contacted to get their side of the incident.
  • Investigators could seek witness statements and other evidence
  • Investigators assess the circumstances and evidence and make a decision for action
  • Council will then issue legal notices as required, and;
  • Inform the parties of the outcome.

Depending on the severity of the attack, councils can:

  • issue a warning
  • impose an on the spot fine of $315
  • take direct court action (in more serious cases)
  • impose a control order (Nuisance, Dangerous Dog, Menacing Dog, or Destruction Order)
  • The maximum penalty for a dog attack is $2,500.

If you have any questions contact us on 86253407.

Preventing dog bites

Dogs bite for many reasons. The most common reasons are fear, pain or confusion when mixing with people and other dogs. Ignoring signs of aggression can result in serious injury to you, a member of your family or others.  You can discourage biting by:

  • socialising your dog from an early age so that it learns how to mix with other dogs and other people in public
  • avoiding situations that may cause your dog to become nervous or anxious
  • training your dog - obedience classes help you learn about your dog, its body language and how you can communicate with it
  • desexing your dog. Research shows that, on average an entire dog is more aggressive. Note that desexing dog will be mandatory (with exemptions) from 1 July 2018.
  • asking your vet for advice if your dog shows any signs of aggression towards people.

For more information on being a good dog owner, visit the Dog and Cat Management Board website

What do I do if I have lost my dog or cat?

If your dog or cat is missing Council Administration on 8625 3407. Council staff will be able to advise you if your dog is at the pound and if not will take your details in the event your dog is found.

Under the Dog and Cat Management Act if a dog is not claimed within 72 hours it becomes Council property.

If your dog is registered and wearing a collar or microchipped you will be contacted to advise that your dog is at the pound and of any charges and expiations that may apply.

Where are the Leashed & Unleashed areas?

View the map which shows the Leashed & Unleased areas for Ceduna, Thevenard, Denial Bay and Smoky Bay.

What are the charges relating to seizure and detention of dogs?

Under Section 64 of the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995 the Council may recover charges payable under the regulations in relation to the seizing and detention of a dog.

Section 62 - A person is not entitled to the return of a dog unless they provide satisfactory evidence that he/she owns or is responsible for the dog, or is authorised to receive the dog by a person who owns or is responsible for the control of the dog and, in the case of an unregistered dog, the dog must be registered before leaving the pound.

Part 3 of the Schedule 2 of the Regulations state:

  • For the initial seizure and detention of a dog - $80.00
  • For each 24hr or part thereof during which the dog is detained at the pound - $25.00

Please note: These fees are in relation to the seizing and detaining of the dog only and are determined at a State Government level.

What expiations can be issued by the Council?

Council may issue the following expiations (e.g. fines) in relation to offences committed under the Dog and Cat Management Act:

  • Dog defecating in a public place and the person responsible not removing the faeces - $210.00
  • Dog with no collar and no registration disc in a public place - $170.00
  • Dog wandering at large - $210.00
  • Dog in the grounds of a school - $ 315.00
  • Dog within a shop (excluding disability dogs) - $315.00
  • Dog rushing or chasing a car - $315.00
  • Dog persistenly barking - $315.00
  • Dog attacking, chasing, harassing or endangering the health or person, animal or bird- $315.00
  • Dog casusing injury to a person/property who is lawfully on the property- $315.00
  • Dog of a prescribed breed not desexed - Maximum penalty $5,000.00
  • Sale or gift of a dog of a prescribed breed - Maximum penalty $5,000.00

Under the Dog and Cat Management Act prescribed breed means any of the following breeds:

  • American Pit Bull Terrier
  • Fila Braziliero
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Dogo Argentina
  • Presa Canario

Can I request my dog or cat be destroyed by the Council?

A voluntary request can be made by an owner for destruction of a dog or cat. The fee is $50.00 including GST.

How can I adopt a dog or cat from the pound?

If you are interested in adopting a dog from the pound please contact the District Council of Ceduna to make an appointment to view a dog. There is no fee applicable beyond registering the dog.

Further Information

For further information on dogs and cats within the Council area see Council By-Law No.4 - Dogs and Cats or contact Council on 86253407.

For further information on the Dog and Cat Management Act, plus lots of information on caring for your animals visit the Dog and Cat Management Board website.